New video footage has surfaced in the case of George Floyd, a man who killed by a Minneapolis police officer who kneeled on his neck for ten minutes. Floyd was handcuffed during the altercation and was pleading for his life, telling the officers on the scene that he was unable to breathe. Nearby onlookers were also shouting at the officers to show some humanity as they recorded the incident.
The Minneapolis Police Department claim that the officers were attempting to arrest Floyd for using forged documents at a local deli, and that he resisted arrest, however, in the multiple videos that have since surfaced of the incident, there is no indication that Floyd was resisting at all. In later reports, it was clarified that the “forged documents” that police were referring to was an alleged counterfeit bill that Floyd supposedly attempted to pass off at the deli.
The videos to initially surface of the incident showed the moments where officer Derek Chauvin had Floyd pinned to the ground with his knee on Floyd’s neck. In those videos, Floyd was not fighting or struggling with the officers at all, but police claimed that he was resisting after he was first taken out of his car. Now, surveillance camera footage that was released from a nearby restaurant shows Floyd being removed from his car by police without resisting. The new video shows him being taken from the car and placed in handcuffs, which means that he had no opportunity to resist.
Video shows what appears to be the start of the confrontation between #GeorgeFloyd and #Minneapolis #police officers. A restaurant's security footage shows cops taking him into custody, but the restaurant owner says it does not show Floyd resisting #Arrest pic.twitter.com/LjIerm6BaX
— Sn00pster (@sn00pdad) May 27, 2020
The four officers involved in the arrest were later fired from the Minneapolis Police Department after they were initially placed on paid administrative leave.
There were four officers on the scene at the time of the incident, one who kept the gathering crowds away, and three who were forcefully handling Mr. Floyd, and their names have not been released by the police department. However, two of the officers seen in the video, Derek Chauvin and Tou Thao were identified by Ben Crump, the attorney representing the Floyd family. Both of these officers have either been involved with excessive force complaints or police-involved shootings.
“I believe that justice will be served. I have enough faith to stand on it,” Bridgett Floyd says about the death of her brother, George Floyd. pic.twitter.com/juUykJNCVI
— TODAY (@TODAYshow) May 27, 2020
Floyd’s grieving family has called for criminal charges against the officers for his murder, and so has the city’s mayor.
“If you had done it, or I had done it, we would be behind bars right now,” said Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey.
WATCH: Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey provides an update on the George Floyd case. KSTP's latest story: https://kstp.com/news/minneapolis-mayor-jacob-frey-calls-for-charges-to-be-filed-against-arresting-police-officer-in-george-floyd-case/5742647/?cat=1
Posted by KSTP-TV on Wednesday, May 27, 2020
The city has been facing growing protests as more information about the case becomes public, and local residents become more informed about the circumstances surrounding the killing. Thousands took to the streets this week to protest the murder and call for further action against the officers responsible. At one point, protesters gathered to surround the police station, where officers barricaded themselves inside.
Huge protests in Minneapolis right now in response to the murder of George Floyd by the Minneapolis Police Dept. pic.twitter.com/zsy1yg5t5F
— Brennan Murphy (@brenonade) May 26, 2020
Officers responded to the protests with heavy force, filling the streets with tear gas and shooting rubber bullets into the crowd indiscriminately, hitting journalists and other bystanders. Most of the protests were peaceful, but there were some small acts of vandalism directed at police property.
Minneapolis Police in riot gear continuing to fire lots of tear gas. The explosive canisters started a few small fires which we saw put out by protesters pic.twitter.com/GSalQNykYq
— Unicorn Riot (@UR_Ninja) May 27, 2020
- Hundreds Of Police Storm Seattle Autonomous Zone And Arrest Remaining Protesters
- Suspected Killer Of Missing Soldier Vanessa Guillen Dies By Suicide When Found By Police
- LA City Council Moves To Replace Police Officers With Unarmed Crisis Response Teams
- Human Remains Found In Search Of Missing Fort Hood Soldier Vanessa Guillen
- Gunman Opens Fire On Protestors At Louisville Park
- The Chinese Debt Trap Is Taking Over The Entire World
- Fox News Report Says Trump Is Feeling “Fragile” And Could Drop Out Of The Election
- Princeton To Remove Woodrow Wilson’s Name From University’s Buildings Over Racist Views
- Detroit Police Drive SUV Through Crowd Of Protesters
- Iran Asks Interpol To Help Arrest Trump For Assassination Of General
- Bill Making It Illegal To Forcefully Microchip Employees Passes In Michigan
- The Officers Involved With The Death Of George Floyd Could Get Their Jobs Back
- Kylie Jenner Accused Of ‘Refusing To Pay’ Bangladeshi Workers
- Lawmakers Push To Change Name Of John Wayne Airport Over Racist Remarks
- Petition Calls For Statue Of Christopher Columbus To Be Replaced With Chef Boyardee
- St. Louis Mayor Gives Out Names and Addresses of “Defund The Police” Protesters
- Minneapolis City Council Votes Unanimously To Defund And Dismantle The Police Department
- Officials Suspect Foul Play In Disappearance Of Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen
- North Carolina Police Fired After Using Racial Slurs
- Harmful Levels Of Arsenic Found In Bottled Water Products
- State Of Rhode Island Will Change Its Name Over Racism Concerns
- 3 Men Indicted On Murder Charges In The Death Of Ahmaud Arbery
- Hundreds Of People Ambush Police In Tampa Bay
- Crowd Attacks Senator In Wisconsin Topples Anti-Slavery War Hero Statue
- President Trump Says Statue Vandals Will Get Up To Ten Years In Prison
- 7.4 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Mexico – Tsunami Warnings Issued
- Teen Facing Life In Prison For Killing Her Sex Trafficker Is Released On Bail
- Dangerous Sahara Dust Cloud Is Headed For The US Coast
- China’s Dog Meat Festival Begins Despite Bans On Live Meat Markets
- Ghislaine Maxwell Reportedly Found Near Epstein’s £7 Million Paris Apartment
- News1 year ago
Alabama Passes Law to Chemically Castrate Pedophiles
- Tech5 months ago
The New Bugatti La Voiture Noire Is Worth £14 Million
- News6 months ago
Iranian Presidential Adviser Posted A List Showing Locations For All Trump’s Properties
- Anonymous11 months ago
Anonymous Message to the People of Hong Kong
- Tech2 weeks ago
DeLorean Confirms Plan To Redesign and Produce A New Line Of DMC 12S Cars
- News3 weeks ago
Man Used Internet Registry to Track down and Beat up Pedophiles
- Anonymous4 months ago
Anonymous Warns Citizens Of The World About Coming Global Lockdown
- News10 months ago
Leonardo-backed fund Pledges $5 Million To Preserve Amazon Rainforest