A mural of George Floyd a Blackman that was killed by Minneapolis police which has caused protests and riots around the world was defaced in Stoneham, Boston, WBZ-TV Boston, reported.
The spray painting was painted on the walls of the I-93 tunnel in Stoneham, the graffiti shows Floyd’s face and name and says “Justice 4 Big Floyd.”
The artist behind the original image, Esben Rey, told WBZ-TV Boston, a local news outlet that he was inspired by the country coming together to honor Floyd’s life. Rey then painted the mural in remembrance of Floyd.
“Essentially I painted it because the times – it just broke my heart to see him murdered that way and it just hurt my heart a lot,” Rey told WBZ-TV. “So I thought the best way to positively interpret that was to commemorate him and paint a picture of his face.”
It further appears that whoever covered Floyd’s face with white paint, also tried to scribble out Floyd’s name before fleeing the scene.
One local woman believes this act was an intentional display of hate and stated it was uncalled for.
“This doesn’t help at all. Nope. It’s dividing everybody,” said Marie Cannatella.
George Floyd was murdered when former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin kneeled on his neck and other officers assisted holding Floyd down or just watched. Floyd was killed of asphyxiation on May 25th after arrested for allegedly trying to use a fake $20 bill to buy cigarettes. While in police custody, former Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin pressed his knee on Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes — while Floyd repeatedly said he couldn’t breathe.
The other officers — Thomas Lane, J. Kueng, and Tou Thao — involved in the death of George Floyd have been charged with aiding and abetting amongst other charges.
Protests have erupted across the country for almost two weeks as protesters have voiced their concern for African American lives and the overall issue of police brutality. Unfortunately, police and protesters have clashed, with police using force against protesters often hurting innocent people, NY Times reported. Fortunately, some police who abused their power are being charged across the country or at least investigated for their use of force during or amid the ongoing protests. For example, six police were charged after video showed them breaking into a car and tasing its two occupants as Anewspost reported.
In another case, a police officer in Longbeach, California is under investigation after allegedly threatening to tear gas a man and his 2-year-old son on his shoulders. However, as a result of police responding to police brutality protests with force, there are now loud calls to dismantle or defund police departments nationwide. As Anewspost reported, nine out of twelve members of the Minneapolis City Council recently declared their support for disbanding and dismantling the Minneapolis Police Department at a rally in support of George Floyd.
Minneapolis isn’t the only city there is a nationwide push to dismantle, defund and end police departments gaining steam as a result of the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police officers. For example, a New York councilman has called for a $1bn divestment from the NYPD. In Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, San Francisco, and other cities, local policymakers have started expressing support for some form of defunding or opposing police budget increases.
Lawmakers in Congress have also begun a bipartisan push to defund the police and shut down a Pentagon program that transfers military weaponry to local law enforcement departments. Senators Rand Paul and Brian Schatz Introduced the Stop Militarizing Our Law Enforcement Act, which aims to restrict military weaponry from police departments by adding an amendment in the annual defense policy bill.
This growing division has seeded the country against itself, with those on the Right standing with police and those on the Left and center as well as anarchists standing with protesters. This recent act of vandalism will only serve to further divide a country that seems to be on the brink of societal collapse. Was this vandalism a deliberate hate-driven act or was it just kids ruining someone else’s artwork? The fact, that the perpetrator attempted to scribble out the name as well as cover Floyd’s face with white paint seems to point to the intent of further pushing hate and violence as America crumbles at our feet.
- Hundreds Of Police Storm Seattle Autonomous Zone And Arrest Remaining Protesters
- Suspected Killer Of Missing Soldier Vanessa Guillen Dies By Suicide When Found By Police
- LA City Council Moves To Replace Police Officers With Unarmed Crisis Response Teams
- Human Remains Found In Search Of Missing Fort Hood Soldier Vanessa Guillen
- Gunman Opens Fire On Protestors At Louisville Park
- The Chinese Debt Trap Is Taking Over The Entire World
- Fox News Report Says Trump Is Feeling “Fragile” And Could Drop Out Of The Election
- Princeton To Remove Woodrow Wilson’s Name From University’s Buildings Over Racist Views
- Detroit Police Drive SUV Through Crowd Of Protesters
- Iran Asks Interpol To Help Arrest Trump For Assassination Of General
- Bill Making It Illegal To Forcefully Microchip Employees Passes In Michigan
- The Officers Involved With The Death Of George Floyd Could Get Their Jobs Back
- Kylie Jenner Accused Of ‘Refusing To Pay’ Bangladeshi Workers
- Lawmakers Push To Change Name Of John Wayne Airport Over Racist Remarks
- Petition Calls For Statue Of Christopher Columbus To Be Replaced With Chef Boyardee
- St. Louis Mayor Gives Out Names and Addresses of “Defund The Police” Protesters
- Minneapolis City Council Votes Unanimously To Defund And Dismantle The Police Department
- Officials Suspect Foul Play In Disappearance Of Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen
- North Carolina Police Fired After Using Racial Slurs
- Harmful Levels Of Arsenic Found In Bottled Water Products
- State Of Rhode Island Will Change Its Name Over Racism Concerns
- 3 Men Indicted On Murder Charges In The Death Of Ahmaud Arbery
- Hundreds Of People Ambush Police In Tampa Bay
- Crowd Attacks Senator In Wisconsin Topples Anti-Slavery War Hero Statue
- President Trump Says Statue Vandals Will Get Up To Ten Years In Prison
- 7.4 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Mexico – Tsunami Warnings Issued
- Teen Facing Life In Prison For Killing Her Sex Trafficker Is Released On Bail
- Dangerous Sahara Dust Cloud Is Headed For The US Coast
- China’s Dog Meat Festival Begins Despite Bans On Live Meat Markets
- Ghislaine Maxwell Reportedly Found Near Epstein’s £7 Million Paris Apartment
- News1 year ago
Alabama Passes Law to Chemically Castrate Pedophiles
- Tech5 months ago
The New Bugatti La Voiture Noire Is Worth £14 Million
- News6 months ago
Iranian Presidential Adviser Posted A List Showing Locations For All Trump’s Properties
- Anonymous11 months ago
Anonymous Message to the People of Hong Kong
- Tech2 weeks ago
DeLorean Confirms Plan To Redesign and Produce A New Line Of DMC 12S Cars
- News3 weeks ago
Man Used Internet Registry to Track down and Beat up Pedophiles
- Anonymous4 months ago
Anonymous Warns Citizens Of The World About Coming Global Lockdown
- News10 months ago
Leonardo-backed fund Pledges $5 Million To Preserve Amazon Rainforest