NASCAR has come out in support of Black Lives Matter banning the use of confederate flags at its race tracks across the country.
Many see the conservative flag as a symbol of slavery, white supremacy, and ultimately racism. Nascar has announced that effective immediately conservative flags are banned from all NASCAR events. Several NASCAR drives have come out in support of Black Lives Matter (BLM) in a heartwarming video shared by NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace.
— Bubba Wallace (@BubbaWallace) June 7, 2020
Following the May 25th killing of unarmed 46-year-old African American George Floyd by Minneapolis police, NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace, the only Black driver, called for the Confederate battle flag to be removed as it had “no place” in the sport.
— NASCAR (@NASCAR) June 1, 2020
“The presence of the confederate flag at NASCAR events runs contrary to our commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all fans, our competitors and our industry,” NASCAR said in a statement released Wednesday afternoon. “Bringing people together around a love for racing and the community that it creates is what makes our fans and sport special. The display of the confederate flag will be prohibited from all NASCAR events and properties.”
The move was announced before Wednesday night’s race at Martinsville Speedway where Wallace, was driving Richard Petty Motorsports’ No 43 Chevrolet with a #BlackLivesMatter paint scheme. Wallace was praised for the design on Twitter from several athletes, including NBA star LeBron James.
— LeBron James (@KingJames) June 10, 2020
According to Statista, a shocking majority of NASCAR fans – approximately 91 percent – are white, and the sport remains rooted in the U.S. South. Further, the Guardian reports, that the flag has often been seen at stock car events for more than 70 years.
In 2015, ex-Chairman Brian France attempted to ban the flying of the Confederate flag at races and received an angry backlash from fans.
However, this time seems different as the organization has the backing of numerous of its drivers calling for a change and “listening” to the cries of Black people about systematic racism in America.
NASCAR didn’t state how it plans to enforce the policy or what penalties if any, will be acted upon against fans who bring the controversial emblem to the track. Fans haven’t been in attendance at NASCAR races since the sport resumed last month amid the pandemic.
Statues of military leaders and figures who fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War have also faced increasing scrutiny with the Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi calling to remove 11 different statues from the nation’s National Statuary Hall Collection.
In a letter sent on Wednesday, Pelosi asked the Joint Committee on the Library — led by Senate Rules and Administration Chairman Roy Blunt, a Missouri Republican, and House Administration Chairwoman Zoe Lofgren, a California Democrat — to direct the Architect of the Capitol to remove the statues of soldiers and officials who represent the Confederacy immediately.
- Suspected Killer Of Missing Soldier Vanessa Guillen Dies By Suicide When Found By Police
- LA City Council Moves To Replace Police Officers With Unarmed Crisis Response Teams
- Human Remains Found In Search Of Missing Fort Hood Soldier Vanessa Guillen
- Gunman Opens Fire On Protestors At Louisville Park
- The Chinese Debt Trap Is Taking Over The Entire World
- Fox News Report Says Trump Is Feeling “Fragile” And Could Drop Out Of The Election
- Princeton To Remove Woodrow Wilson’s Name From University’s Buildings Over Racist Views
- Detroit Police Drive SUV Through Crowd Of Protesters
- Iran Asks Interpol To Help Arrest Trump For Assassination Of General
- Bill Making It Illegal To Forcefully Microchip Employees Passes In Michigan
- The Officers Involved With The Death Of George Floyd Could Get Their Jobs Back
- Kylie Jenner Accused Of ‘Refusing To Pay’ Bangladeshi Workers
- Lawmakers Push To Change Name Of John Wayne Airport Over Racist Remarks
- Petition Calls For Statue Of Christopher Columbus To Be Replaced With Chef Boyardee
- St. Louis Mayor Gives Out Names and Addresses of “Defund The Police” Protesters
- Minneapolis City Council Votes Unanimously To Defund And Dismantle The Police Department
- Officials Suspect Foul Play In Disappearance Of Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen
- North Carolina Police Fired After Using Racial Slurs
- Harmful Levels Of Arsenic Found In Bottled Water Products
- State Of Rhode Island Will Change Its Name Over Racism Concerns
- 3 Men Indicted On Murder Charges In The Death Of Ahmaud Arbery
- Hundreds Of People Ambush Police In Tampa Bay
- Crowd Attacks Senator In Wisconsin Topples Anti-Slavery War Hero Statue
- President Trump Says Statue Vandals Will Get Up To Ten Years In Prison
- 7.4 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Mexico – Tsunami Warnings Issued
- Teen Facing Life In Prison For Killing Her Sex Trafficker Is Released On Bail
- Dangerous Sahara Dust Cloud Is Headed For The US Coast
- China’s Dog Meat Festival Begins Despite Bans On Live Meat Markets
- Ghislaine Maxwell Reportedly Found Near Epstein’s £7 Million Paris Apartment
- Georgia House Votes To Allow Citizens To Abolish Police Departments In The State
- News1 year ago
Alabama Passes Law to Chemically Castrate Pedophiles
- Tech5 months ago
The New Bugatti La Voiture Noire Is Worth £14 Million
- News6 months ago
Iranian Presidential Adviser Posted A List Showing Locations For All Trump’s Properties
- Anonymous11 months ago
Anonymous Message to the People of Hong Kong
- Tech2 weeks ago
DeLorean Confirms Plan To Redesign and Produce A New Line Of DMC 12S Cars
- News3 weeks ago
Man Used Internet Registry to Track down and Beat up Pedophiles
- Anonymous4 months ago
Anonymous Warns Citizens Of The World About Coming Global Lockdown
- News10 months ago
Leonardo-backed fund Pledges $5 Million To Preserve Amazon Rainforest