NASA has released some incredible new photos of the planet Jupiter from its Juno space probe, which was first launched in 2011. Juno has visited many planets since it left on its voyage, but has most recently encountered Jupiter. The space probe arrived in Jupiter in July of 2016 and has since been taking incredible photos of the planet and its atmosphere.
Juno’s mission is to measure Jupiter’s composition, gravity field, magnetic field, and polar magnetosphere. It will also search for clues about how the planet formed, including whether it has a rocky core, the amount of water present within the deep atmosphere, mass distribution, and its deep winds.
Jupiter has been explored on a number of occasions by robotic space probes, starting with the Pioneer and Voyager flyby missions from 1973 to 1979, and later by the Galileo orbiter, which arrived at Jupiter in 1995.
Pioneer 10 was the first space probe to visit Jupiter, making its closest approach to the planet on December 4, 1973. Pioneer 10 identified plasma in Jupiter’s magnetic field and also found that Jupiter’s magnetic tail was nearly 800 million kilometers long, covering the entire distance to Saturn.
In late February 2007, Jupiter was visited by the New Horizons probe, which used Jupiter’s gravity to increase its speed and bend its trajectory en route to Pluto. The latest probe to visit the planet is Juno, which entered into orbit around Jupiter on July 4, 2016.
Jupiter is the fifth planet from the Sun and the largest in the Solar System. Future targets for exploration in the Jupiter system include the ice-covered liquid ocean of its moon Europa. Jupiter has 79 known moons, including the four large Galilean moons discovered by Galileo Galilei in 1610. Ganymede, the largest of these moons, has a diameter greater than the entire planet of Mercury.
Check out the incredible new photos from the Juno probe below:
The Great Red Spot and tempestuous southern hemisphere taken by NASA’s spacecraft Juno during a nearby pass of this great gas planet
Jupiters’ southern hemisphere is totally overtaken by these whirling cloud belts in the image taken by NASA’s spacecraft Juno.
An extraordinary image captured of 2 storms merging together taken from NASA’s spacecraft Juno of Jupiter’s atmosphere
Nearby the South Pole of Jupiter, twirling cloud configurations are captured looking upwards to the equatorial area.
The Jovian cloudscape is dominated by a vigorous storm on the southern edge of Jupiter’s northern polar region
A striking image of Jupiter’s distinct Great Red Spot and the enfolding turbulent areas captured by NASA’s spacecraft Juno.
Complex and intriguing patterns in a jet stream region of Jupiter’s northern hemisphere known as “JetN3” are taken from NASA’s Juno spacecraft.
During a flyby of the gas giant on the 16th of December 2017, the abundant white clouds are seen in this picture of…
Captured with Jupiter’s northern hemisphere, turbulent and twirling cloud bands are depicted in what could look like a water colour painting at first glance!
A whirlpool with a deep dark core is clearly depicted in this image of a view of an area inside a Jovian jet stream. The…
On the 21st of December 2018 this stunning image of the southern hemisphere of Jupiter was taken from Juno, NASA’s spacecraft on nearby flyby of the gas planet
Turbulent northern areas are captured by Juno, NASA’s spacecraft on the close advance on the 17th of February 2020
Remarkable hues of blue are depicted in this image of Jovian clouds taken by NASA’s spacecraft, Juno.
A stunning image of Jupiter’s moon Io, generating its shadow onto the planet. Same as Earth when solar eclipses are experienced, is when Io passes in front of the Sun on Jupiter.
Jupiter does not have a dense surface like Earth and data collected by NASA’s spacecraft Juno, has revealed that this…
Known as a white oval, these are images of “pop-up” swirling clouds that emerge in an anticyclonic storm. Captured by NASA’s spacecraft Juno, in Jupiter’s vibrant North North Temperate Belt
- Kanye West Announces He’s Running For U.S. Presidency 2020
- 2 Protesters Critically Injured After Man Driving Jaguar Plows Through Crowd
- US Sends Aircraft Carriers and Warships Into South China Sea
- Epstein Victim’s Lawyer Spencer Kuvin Says Ghislaine Maxwell Will Be Suicided
- Woman Claims Ghislaine Maxwell Raped Her Repeatably
- Native Tribal Leaders Want Mount Rushmore To Be Removed
- New Book Claims Bill Clinton Had An Affair With Trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell
- CNN Reporter Mugged On Live TV At Knife Point
- Epstein Victim Virginia Giuffre’s Attorneys Ordered By Judge To Destroy All Documents
- Officer Stabbed And Hundreds Arrested During First Day Of New Hong Kong Protests
- Ghislaine Maxwell Epstein’s Madam Has Been Arrested By The FBI
- Hundreds Of Police Storm Seattle Autonomous Zone And Arrest Remaining Protesters
- Suspected Killer Of Missing Soldier Vanessa Guillen Dies By Suicide When Found By Police
- LA City Council Moves To Replace Police Officers With Unarmed Crisis Response Teams
- Human Remains Found In Search Of Missing Fort Hood Soldier Vanessa Guillen
- Gunman Opens Fire On Protestors At Louisville Park
- The Chinese Debt Trap Is Taking Over The Entire World
- Fox News Report Says Trump Is Feeling “Fragile” And Could Drop Out Of The Election
- Princeton To Remove Woodrow Wilson’s Name From University’s Buildings Over Racist Views
- Detroit Police Drive SUV Through Crowd Of Protesters
- Iran Asks Interpol To Help Arrest Trump For Assassination Of General
- Bill Making It Illegal To Forcefully Microchip Employees Passes In Michigan
- The Officers Involved With The Death Of George Floyd Could Get Their Jobs Back
- Kylie Jenner Accused Of ‘Refusing To Pay’ Bangladeshi Workers
- Lawmakers Push To Change Name Of John Wayne Airport Over Racist Remarks
- Petition Calls For Statue Of Christopher Columbus To Be Replaced With Chef Boyardee
- St. Louis Mayor Gives Out Names and Addresses of “Defund The Police” Protesters
- Minneapolis City Council Votes Unanimously To Defund And Dismantle The Police Department
- Officials Suspect Foul Play In Disappearance Of Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen
- North Carolina Police Fired After Using Racial Slurs
- News1 year ago
Alabama Passes Law to Chemically Castrate Pedophiles
- Tech5 months ago
The New Bugatti La Voiture Noire Is Worth £14 Million
- News6 months ago
Iranian Presidential Adviser Posted A List Showing Locations For All Trump’s Properties
- Anonymous11 months ago
Anonymous Message to the People of Hong Kong
- Tech2 weeks ago
DeLorean Confirms Plan To Redesign and Produce A New Line Of DMC 12S Cars
- News3 weeks ago
Man Used Internet Registry to Track down and Beat up Pedophiles
- Anonymous4 months ago
Anonymous Warns Citizens Of The World About Coming Global Lockdown
- News10 months ago
Leonardo-backed fund Pledges $5 Million To Preserve Amazon Rainforest