Protesters have taken to the streets and shut down a major interstate in Atlanta, in response to yet another police killing. Around 10:30 on Friday night, The Atlanta Police Department responded to a Wendy’s location in the city, because 27-year-old Rayshard Brooks was sleeping in his car in the drive-thru, forcing other customers to drive around him.
— WSB-TV (@wsbtv) June 14, 2020
When police encountered Brooks they gave him a sobriety test, and when he failed, he attempted to flee. Police chased after Brooks and a struggle ensued, and an officer shot and killed him. Video footage appears to show Brooks take the officer’s taser during the scuffle, but whether or not lethal force was justified is under scrutiny.
— Audrey Washington (@AudreyWSBTV) June 14, 2020
With tension already high from the ongoing protests against police brutality, the city was quick to gather and protest this new killing. Hundreds of people gathered outside of the Wendy’s until a few individuals decided to break the windows of the restaurant and set it on fire. That is the only major act of property damage that has been reported in the city at this time.
— WSB-TV (@wsbtv) June 14, 2020
By 10:00 pm on Saturday, demonstrators shut down all lanes of a major highway.
In the midst of the protests Atlanta police Chief Erika Shields released a statement announcing her resignation from the department. Meanwhile, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms has called for the immediate termination of the officer who shot Rayshard Brooks.
Bottoms went on to say that she does not believe that the use of force was justified. In a statement to the press, the mayor said, “While there may be debate as to whether this was an appropriate use of deadly force, I firmly believe that there is a clear distinction between what you can do and what you should do. I do not believe that this was a justified use of deadly force.”
L. Chris Stewart, a lawyer who was hired by the Brooks family, said repeatedly at a news conference Saturday night that a Taser was not considered a deadly weapon, and that there was no justification for the police to shoot Mr. Brooks just because he had one in his hands.
“His life was not in immediate harm when he fired that shot,” Stewart said.
Protesters shut down interstate in Atlanta
Posted by The National Desk – TND on Saturday, June 13, 2020
Stewart also said that the officers put on plastic gloves and picked up shell casings at the scene before performing first aid on Brooks, and did not check his pulse for more than two minutes after he was shot.
This shooting comes at a time of intense anger at police across the entire country, for the day to day interactions that people have with police. In many cities, activists are demanding a full defunding of the police department or at least extreme budget cuts. People see the police as an occupying force that is not there for their safety, but rather, their oppression. This is why hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people, have taken to the streets all over the world in recent weeks.
We will be reporting details on the developing situation in Atlanta as they become available.
- Suspected Killer Of Missing Soldier Vanessa Guillen Dies By Suicide When Found By Police
- LA City Council Moves To Replace Police Officers With Unarmed Crisis Response Teams
- Human Remains Found In Search Of Missing Fort Hood Soldier Vanessa Guillen
- Gunman Opens Fire On Protestors At Louisville Park
- The Chinese Debt Trap Is Taking Over The Entire World
- Fox News Report Says Trump Is Feeling “Fragile” And Could Drop Out Of The Election
- Princeton To Remove Woodrow Wilson’s Name From University’s Buildings Over Racist Views
- Detroit Police Drive SUV Through Crowd Of Protesters
- Iran Asks Interpol To Help Arrest Trump For Assassination Of General
- Bill Making It Illegal To Forcefully Microchip Employees Passes In Michigan
- The Officers Involved With The Death Of George Floyd Could Get Their Jobs Back
- Kylie Jenner Accused Of ‘Refusing To Pay’ Bangladeshi Workers
- Lawmakers Push To Change Name Of John Wayne Airport Over Racist Remarks
- Petition Calls For Statue Of Christopher Columbus To Be Replaced With Chef Boyardee
- St. Louis Mayor Gives Out Names and Addresses of “Defund The Police” Protesters
- Minneapolis City Council Votes Unanimously To Defund And Dismantle The Police Department
- Officials Suspect Foul Play In Disappearance Of Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen
- North Carolina Police Fired After Using Racial Slurs
- Harmful Levels Of Arsenic Found In Bottled Water Products
- State Of Rhode Island Will Change Its Name Over Racism Concerns
- 3 Men Indicted On Murder Charges In The Death Of Ahmaud Arbery
- Hundreds Of People Ambush Police In Tampa Bay
- Crowd Attacks Senator In Wisconsin Topples Anti-Slavery War Hero Statue
- President Trump Says Statue Vandals Will Get Up To Ten Years In Prison
- 7.4 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Mexico – Tsunami Warnings Issued
- Teen Facing Life In Prison For Killing Her Sex Trafficker Is Released On Bail
- Dangerous Sahara Dust Cloud Is Headed For The US Coast
- China’s Dog Meat Festival Begins Despite Bans On Live Meat Markets
- Ghislaine Maxwell Reportedly Found Near Epstein’s £7 Million Paris Apartment
- Georgia House Votes To Allow Citizens To Abolish Police Departments In The State
- News1 year ago
Alabama Passes Law to Chemically Castrate Pedophiles
- Tech5 months ago
The New Bugatti La Voiture Noire Is Worth £14 Million
- News6 months ago
Iranian Presidential Adviser Posted A List Showing Locations For All Trump’s Properties
- Anonymous11 months ago
Anonymous Message to the People of Hong Kong
- Tech2 weeks ago
DeLorean Confirms Plan To Redesign and Produce A New Line Of DMC 12S Cars
- News3 weeks ago
Man Used Internet Registry to Track down and Beat up Pedophiles
- Anonymous4 months ago
Anonymous Warns Citizens Of The World About Coming Global Lockdown
- News10 months ago
Leonardo-backed fund Pledges $5 Million To Preserve Amazon Rainforest