Two Confederate statues in Raleigh, North Carolina were pulled down by protesters on Juneteenth, June 19, 2020. One of the statues was hung from a traffic light, while the other was dragged through the streets and taken to the doorstep of the old Wake County courthouse. Both statues were bronze soldiers that were taken from a 75-foot Confederate monument at the state Capitol during a protest on Friday night.
Demonstrators also put a Black Lives Matter sign listing the names of black people killed by police on the statue’s chest.
The statues were removed after multiple attempts, which involved police chasing protesters away on numerous occasions. There were also local citizens who gathered to “defend” the statues, and a few fights broke out as a result.
Police say that they arrested at least one person in connection with the effort to bring down the statues on Friday night.
This just the latest in a string of statues that have been removed in recent weeks, amid growing protests for racial justice.
In Richmond, Virginia, demonstrators pulled down a statue of Jefferson Davis, the president of the Confederacy. In Montgomery, Alabama, protesters removed a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee that was outside a school that is named after the general.
In Boston, Massachusetts, a statue of Christopher Columbus was beheaded, and in Portland, Oregon, protesters toppled a statue of George Washington. These protests have also become a flashpoint for violence, as people who are in support of the statues have been taking it upon themselves to “defend” the areas.
ICYMI: Here's what happened Friday night as protesters toppled two Confederate statues from a monument on NC's Capitol grounds. One was hung from a Raleigh street sign, the other was dragged to the doorstep of the old Wake County courthouse.Learn more >> https://trib.al/UAJGV5s
Posted by The News & Observer on Saturday, June 20, 2020
The statues in North Carolina were taken down during a Juneteeth protest.
Juneteenth is a holiday that celebrates the emancipation of those who had been enslaved in the United States. The holiday originated in Texas, but it is now celebrated annually on the 19th of June throughout the United States, and is said to commemorate a number of different things. Specifically, it commemorates Union army general Gordon Granger announcing federal orders in Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, proclaiming that all slaves in Texas were free.
Since the 1980s and 1990s, the holiday has been more widely celebrated among African-American communities and has seen increasing mainstream attention in the US. In 1991, there was an exhibition by the Anacostia Museum, which is a part of the Smithsonian Institution, called “Juneteenth ’91, Freedom Revisited”. In 1994, a group of community leaders gathered at Christian Unity Baptist Church in New Orleans to work for a greater national celebration of Juneteenth. In 1999, Ralph Ellison’s novel Juneteenth was published, which greatly increased recognition of the holiday. By 2006, at least 200 cities celebrated the day.
In 2020, several American corporations and educational institutions including Twitter, the National Football League, Nike, announced that they would recognize Juneteenth as a company holiday, and promised to provide a paid day off to their workers. Also in 2020, Google Calendar added Juneteenth to its US Holidays calendar and a number of major universities formally recognized Juneteenth, either as a “day of reflection” or as a university holiday with paid time off for faculty and staff.
- Kanye West Announces He’s Running For U.S. Presidency 2020
- 2 Protesters Critically Injured After Man Driving Jaguar Plows Through Crowd
- US Sends Aircraft Carriers and Warships Into South China Sea
- Epstein Victim’s Lawyer Spencer Kuvin Says Ghislaine Maxwell Will Be Suicided
- Woman Claims Ghislaine Maxwell Raped Her Repeatably
- Native Tribal Leaders Want Mount Rushmore To Be Removed
- New Book Claims Bill Clinton Had An Affair With Trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell
- CNN Reporter Mugged On Live TV At Knife Point
- Epstein Victim Virginia Giuffre’s Attorneys Ordered By Judge To Destroy All Documents
- Officer Stabbed And Hundreds Arrested During First Day Of New Hong Kong Protests
- Ghislaine Maxwell Epstein’s Madam Has Been Arrested By The FBI
- Hundreds Of Police Storm Seattle Autonomous Zone And Arrest Remaining Protesters
- Suspected Killer Of Missing Soldier Vanessa Guillen Dies By Suicide When Found By Police
- LA City Council Moves To Replace Police Officers With Unarmed Crisis Response Teams
- Human Remains Found In Search Of Missing Fort Hood Soldier Vanessa Guillen
- Gunman Opens Fire On Protestors At Louisville Park
- The Chinese Debt Trap Is Taking Over The Entire World
- Fox News Report Says Trump Is Feeling “Fragile” And Could Drop Out Of The Election
- Princeton To Remove Woodrow Wilson’s Name From University’s Buildings Over Racist Views
- Detroit Police Drive SUV Through Crowd Of Protesters
- Iran Asks Interpol To Help Arrest Trump For Assassination Of General
- Bill Making It Illegal To Forcefully Microchip Employees Passes In Michigan
- The Officers Involved With The Death Of George Floyd Could Get Their Jobs Back
- Kylie Jenner Accused Of ‘Refusing To Pay’ Bangladeshi Workers
- Lawmakers Push To Change Name Of John Wayne Airport Over Racist Remarks
- Petition Calls For Statue Of Christopher Columbus To Be Replaced With Chef Boyardee
- St. Louis Mayor Gives Out Names and Addresses of “Defund The Police” Protesters
- Minneapolis City Council Votes Unanimously To Defund And Dismantle The Police Department
- Officials Suspect Foul Play In Disappearance Of Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen
- North Carolina Police Fired After Using Racial Slurs
- News1 year ago
Alabama Passes Law to Chemically Castrate Pedophiles
- Tech5 months ago
The New Bugatti La Voiture Noire Is Worth £14 Million
- News6 months ago
Iranian Presidential Adviser Posted A List Showing Locations For All Trump’s Properties
- Anonymous11 months ago
Anonymous Message to the People of Hong Kong
- Tech2 weeks ago
DeLorean Confirms Plan To Redesign and Produce A New Line Of DMC 12S Cars
- News3 weeks ago
Man Used Internet Registry to Track down and Beat up Pedophiles
- Anonymous4 months ago
Anonymous Warns Citizens Of The World About Coming Global Lockdown
- News10 months ago
Leonardo-backed fund Pledges $5 Million To Preserve Amazon Rainforest