A man was arrested after a bizarre shooting that took place at a Sonic drive-in restaurant in Bellevue, Nebraska, this weekend. The suspect, a 23-year-old man named Roberto Carlos Silva Jr, was also responsible for blowing up a U-Haul in the drive-thru, according to police.
The shooting reportedly left two people dead and two others wounded.
Serious situation going on in Bellevue this evening https://t.co/yFNXWSSs3C
— Marlo Lundak WOWT (@marlolundaktv) November 22, 2020
Bellevue Police were dispatched to the Sonic Drive-In on November 21 at around 9:30 in the evening for a “possible bomb inside of a moving truck parked in the parking lot.”
When they arrived on the scene, police found four people with gunshot wounds. Two victims were transported to the University of Nebraska Medical Center, and two more declared dead at the scene.
A witness just sent me this video.
It captures a car fire and explosion in the Sonic Drive Thru.
This is the Sonic in Bellevue just off Cornhusker. pic.twitter.com/UfI8YC4in7
— Emily Tencer KETV (@EmilyTencerKETV) November 22, 2020
While a motive is not clear at this point, Silva was previously accused of ordering food using someone else's app.
Sonic workers discovered that he had charged at least $57 to another person’s Sonic app. It is not clear if the shooting and alleged bombing was some type of strange retaliation for his previous encounters with the restaurant, but regardless, the shooter has a history there.
He was arrested for stealing food through the other customer's app last week, just days before the shooting. All of the victims were employees of Sonic, and there were no customers inside the store at the time of the incident.
Police later identified the victims in the shooting as 22-year-old Nathan Pastrana, and 28-year-old Ryan Helbert, both of whom died at the scene.
25-year-old Kenneth Gerner and 18-year-old Zoey Reece Atalig Lujan were injured but are in stable condition.
Press conference for the November 21 Bellevue Sonic shooting https://t.co/g8iWGrCAvu
— Bellevue Police (@BellevuePolice) November 23, 2020
Bellevue Police Lieutenant Andy Jashinske said that four firearms were located at the scene but none were on Silva's person at the time of his arrest.
Jashinske was asked how officers were able to take Silva into custody without further incident and said, "Number one, he totally complied, number two, he was unarmed."
"When officers did take him into custody or when they arrived on scene there, and they had him out on his stomach, when they told him to put his arms behind his back, he complied, he put arms by his back and he was handcuffed. Like I said, we did not find any weapons on him. We're thankful for that," he said.
See the attached press release regarding a multiple homicide at Sonic in Bellevue. A suspect is in custody. pic.twitter.com/TXbmNutHP7
— BPD Capt. Jashinske (@Capt_Jashinske) November 22, 2020
Bellevue Mayor Rusty Hike offered condolences to the victims in a statement over the weekend.
"It's been a long 22 hours, through a lot of adversity here and we're thankful that our community is there for our for our victims and those families. On behalf of the council and myself our administration, we want to offer our heartfelt condolences to those families and to those victims...I just know that the whole entire community is praying for the victims and their families. And we will continue to do so. I do want to thank our first responders though. Excellent job on getting to the situation as quick as possible at the maximum of three minutes, and others could have been a lot worse, and thankful to them for doing their job and doing well," Hike said.
Someone might’ve blew up a Uhaul at a Sonic’s In Bellevue, Nebraska.. Alao reports of an active shooter at the same location. Wild pic.twitter.com/nxz0VqHEWt
— CIA-Simulation Warlord 🇺🇸🦈🇺🇸 (@zerosum24) November 22, 2020