Experts are warning that a huge plume of Saharan dust is headed to the southeastern United States. David Wally, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service says that the dust storm will cause sunrises and sunsets to be more vibrant because of the sunlight being scattered by the dust particles.
— Brian McNoldy (@BMcNoldy) June 22, 2020
However, the massive plume of dust can obviously have some adverse health effects.
Dr. Sandro Galea, dean of the Boston University School of Public Health, told the New York Times that this dust can be an allergen that can cause trouble for people with asthma or reactive airways.
Dr. Len Horovitz, a pulmonary specialist at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, also said that “particulate matter of this dust cloud contains more silica, and is a hazard to those with underlying lung conditions. But even normal healthy people are subject to irritant effects.”
Horovitz and other experts recommend wearing a mask and using air filters, which many people are already doing. He also warned that everyone should try to avoid outdoor activities if the dust is in the air and especially if you have health complications that could be impacted. Luckily, we are living during a time when people are wearing masks and avoiding social situations anyway, so there are many people who will be following this advice without even realizing it.
Researchers have been watching the large dust plume move across the Atlantic ocean through satellite images for the past few days, and expect it to arrive in the Gulf Coast states, including Texas and Louisiana, on Wednesday and Thursday.
This is not an unusual occurrence, the Saharan dust cloud makes a trip across the Atlantic on a fairly regular basis, but this time it is much larger than usual. The dust cloud phenomenon was first identified in 1972 and has been closely observed by researchers ever since. Most of the time it is no problem, but on some occasions, it is especially bad.
On Sunday, Puerto Rico’s Department of Health also said that people who have asthma, respiratory illnesses and allergies, “as well as those who have been infected with Covid-19, must be very careful not to aggravate their health conditions.”
Disturbances such as large thunderstorm complexes over North Africa periodically result in massive dust and sand storms, some of which reach as high as 6,000 meters. At times, the layer of dust is transported west across the Atlantic Ocean.
We flew over this Saharan dust plume today in the west central Atlantic. Amazing how large an area it covers! pic.twitter.com/JVGyo8LAXI
— Col. Doug Hurley (@Astro_Doug) June 21, 2020
In the case of Africa, winds blow twenty percent of dust from a Saharan storm out over the Atlantic Ocean, and twenty percent of that, or four percent of a single storm’s dust, reaches all the way to the western Atlantic. The remainder settles out into the ocean or washes out of the air with rainfall.
Some findings indicate that the iron-rich dust particles that often occur within the dust cloud reflect solar radiation, which ends up cooling the atmosphere. The particles also reduce the amount of sunlight reaching the ocean, which reduces the amount of heating of the ocean.
- Kanye West Announces He’s Running For U.S. Presidency 2020
- 2 Protesters Critically Injured After Man Driving Jaguar Plows Through Crowd
- US Sends Aircraft Carriers and Warships Into South China Sea
- Epstein Victim’s Lawyer Spencer Kuvin Says Ghislaine Maxwell Will Be Suicided
- Woman Claims Ghislaine Maxwell Raped Her Repeatably
- Native Tribal Leaders Want Mount Rushmore To Be Removed
- New Book Claims Bill Clinton Had An Affair With Trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell
- CNN Reporter Mugged On Live TV At Knife Point
- Epstein Victim Virginia Giuffre’s Attorneys Ordered By Judge To Destroy All Documents
- Officer Stabbed And Hundreds Arrested During First Day Of New Hong Kong Protests
- Ghislaine Maxwell Epstein’s Madam Has Been Arrested By The FBI
- Hundreds Of Police Storm Seattle Autonomous Zone And Arrest Remaining Protesters
- Suspected Killer Of Missing Soldier Vanessa Guillen Dies By Suicide When Found By Police
- LA City Council Moves To Replace Police Officers With Unarmed Crisis Response Teams
- Human Remains Found In Search Of Missing Fort Hood Soldier Vanessa Guillen
- Gunman Opens Fire On Protestors At Louisville Park
- The Chinese Debt Trap Is Taking Over The Entire World
- Fox News Report Says Trump Is Feeling “Fragile” And Could Drop Out Of The Election
- Princeton To Remove Woodrow Wilson’s Name From University’s Buildings Over Racist Views
- Detroit Police Drive SUV Through Crowd Of Protesters
- Iran Asks Interpol To Help Arrest Trump For Assassination Of General
- Bill Making It Illegal To Forcefully Microchip Employees Passes In Michigan
- The Officers Involved With The Death Of George Floyd Could Get Their Jobs Back
- Kylie Jenner Accused Of ‘Refusing To Pay’ Bangladeshi Workers
- Lawmakers Push To Change Name Of John Wayne Airport Over Racist Remarks
- Petition Calls For Statue Of Christopher Columbus To Be Replaced With Chef Boyardee
- St. Louis Mayor Gives Out Names and Addresses of “Defund The Police” Protesters
- Minneapolis City Council Votes Unanimously To Defund And Dismantle The Police Department
- Officials Suspect Foul Play In Disappearance Of Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen
- North Carolina Police Fired After Using Racial Slurs
- News1 year ago
Alabama Passes Law to Chemically Castrate Pedophiles
- Tech5 months ago
The New Bugatti La Voiture Noire Is Worth £14 Million
- News6 months ago
Iranian Presidential Adviser Posted A List Showing Locations For All Trump’s Properties
- Anonymous11 months ago
Anonymous Message to the People of Hong Kong
- Tech2 weeks ago
DeLorean Confirms Plan To Redesign and Produce A New Line Of DMC 12S Cars
- News3 weeks ago
Man Used Internet Registry to Track down and Beat up Pedophiles
- Anonymous4 months ago
Anonymous Warns Citizens Of The World About Coming Global Lockdown
- News10 months ago
Leonardo-backed fund Pledges $5 Million To Preserve Amazon Rainforest