Connect with us

News

Armed Riots Break Out In Wisconsin Over Shooting Of Unarmed Black Man

Published

on

Armed protesters shut down the streets in Kenosha, Wisconsin on Sunday night after a police-involved shooting of an unarmed Black man in front of his three children in his car, earlier in the evening.

A large group of protesters can be seen in a video uploaded to Twitter – including at least two armed persons in the crowd – who blocked a police armored car from proceeding down a street. After a standoff with the protesters for a few minutes, the police began throwing tear gas canisters from the top of the vehicle to disperse the crowd. Moments later, gunshots can be heard after one of the protesters appeared to open fire. It’s not known if the weapon was being fired at the armored vehicle.

 

The protests were in response to the shooting of an unarmed Black man identified as Jacob Blake. A shocking video shows police unload their weapons into the back of Blake.

AP reports:

In the video posted on social media that appeared to show the shooting from across a street, three officers could be seen shouting and pointing their weapons at the man, who appeared to be Black, as he walked around the front of an SUV parked on the street. As the man opened the driver’s side door and leaned inside, one officer grabbed his shirt from behind and then fired into the vehicle. Seven shots could be heard on the video, though it was unclear if more than one officer fired.

Following the shooting, social media posts showed neighbors gathering in the surrounding streets and hurling comments at police. Some could be heard chanting, ‘No justice, no peace.’

Anewspost previously reported about the shooting today expressing that the video was shocking you can view the horrific scene below.

https://twitter.com/nolimitchrizi/status/1297684746370252806?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1297684746370252806%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fanewspost.com%2Fvideo-police-in-wisconsin-shoot-black-man-seven-times-in-the-back-front-of-his-kids%2F

Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers released a statement condemning the shooting. Evers later posted a statement on Twitter saying much of the same.

“While we do not have all of the details yet, what we know for certain is that he is not the first Black man or person to have been shot or injured or mercilessly killed at the hands of individuals in law enforcement in our state or our country,” Evers said according to the AP. “We stand with all those who have and continue to demand justice, equity, and accountability for Black lives in our country …

“And we stand against excessive use of force and immediate escalation when engaging with Black Wisconsinites. I have said all along that although we must offer our empathy, equally important is our action. In the coming days, we will demand just that of elected officials in our state who have failed to recognize the racism in our state and our country for far too long.”

In a statement released by the Kenosha Police Department, a spokesperson confirmed the father-of-three had been airlifted to a Milwaukee hospital, where he is said to be in a serious condition, but still alive at the time of this report.

Armed riots weren’t the only thing to take place, there was also an incident where a police officer was hit with a brick in the head. After the shooting of Blake, when officers arrived people began throwing bricks and other projectiles at them. One officer was even struck in the head and knocked unconscious by what appeared to be a brick according to a report.

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1297747994813575168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1297747994813575168%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-17383603523037491988.ampproject.net%2F2007302351001%2Fframe.html

There were also reports of looting stores and fires being set throughout the city like has been seen elsewhere in the U.S. following other shootings earlier this year. According to The Journal Times of Racine, at least one Molotov cocktails was thrown as well.

Further, protesters gathered outside the Kenosha County Public Safety Building, chanting “no justice, no peace,” in video posted by Mike De Sisti of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Reporter Meg Jones of the Journal Sentinel posted video of vehicles on fire near the county courthouse.

Authorities have enacted an emergency curfew which was put into effect at 7 a.m. on Monday morning. The Wisconsin Department of Justice is investigating the police-involved shooting according to a report by the New York Times.  All officers involved were placed on administrative leave and the DOJ “aims to provide a report of the incident to the prosecutor within 30 days” to determine whether to file any charges.

Alex Baldridge is an activist and freelance journalist from the midwestern United States who was inspired to become a writer after watching the development of the Wikileaks story and the persecution of Julian Assange. Alex is especially interested in topics like surveillance, the rise of automation, foreign policy, prison reform, and the legal system.

Advertisement

News

Elliot Page’s Wife Say’s Proud Of Star’s Transgender Disclosure

Published

on

Yesterday, actor Elliot Page announced his transgender identity in a heartfelt Instagram post. Today, his wife, Emma Portner, has offered her public words of support.

Portner is a 26-year-old professional dancer and choreographer who began dating Page in 2017. The couple married a year later, in 2018.

 

Page makes regular appearances in Emma’s dancing YouTube channel and Instagram videos.

(Photo by Katrina Jordan/Sipa USA)

In a statement on Instagram, Portner said, “I am so proud of Elliot Page. Trans, queer and non-binary people are a gift to this world. I also ask for patience & privacy but that you join me in the fervent support of trans life every single day. Elliot’s existence is a gift in and of itself. Shine on sweet E. Love you so much.”

Netflix is currently updating Page’s name in all of the credits for the films he’s featured in, and he will continue to play the role of Vanya in The Umbrella Academy.

Portner created the choreography for Jim Steinman’s Bat Out of Hell The Musical. In 2015, she choreographed and starred in Justin Bieber’s music video for his song “Life is Worth Living”. She also created the choreography for Bieber’s Purpose World Tour.

In 2019, she was nominated for Arena Dance Competition’s “Best Female Dancer” of the year. Paper Magazine also listed Portner in “PAPER Predictions: 100 people to watch in 2019”. She is one of very few dancers to have been on the covers of the magazines Dance Spirit and Dance Magazine.

As of 2020, her work has been displayed in a variety of environments including Apple, Netflix, Vogue, Sony Studios, and in professional Ballet. She has movement directed Indie music stars such as Blood Orange, Maggie Rogers, and BANKS and performed at prestigious venues like The Guggenheim Museum, Jacob’s Pillow, the Oslo Opera House, and New York City Center.

Page first became known for his role in the film and series Pit Pony (1997–2000), for which he won a Young Artist Award, and for recurring roles in Trailer Park Boys (2002) and ReGenesis (2004).

Page also received recognition for his role in the film Hard Candy (2005) and won an Austin Film Critics Association’s Award.

(Photo by Lev Radin / Pacific Press/Sipa USA)

Page had his cinematic breakthrough with the title role in Jason Reitman’s film Juno (2007), earning nominations for an Academy Award, a BAFTA Award, a Critics’ Choice Awards, a Golden Globe Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award. He also earned praise for roles in The Tracey Fragments (2007), Whip It (2009), Super (2010), Inception (2010), and Tallulah (2016).

Page has also portrayed Kitty Pryde in two X-Men films (2006, 2014), produced the film Freeheld (2015) in which he also starred, and made his directorial debut with the documentary There’s Something in the Water (2019). Since 2019, he has portrayed Vanya Hargreeves in the Netflix series The Umbrella Academy.

Continue Reading

News

Woman Faked Deadly Cancer To Scam Friends Into Paying For “Dream Wedding”

Published

on

A 29-year-old woman named Toni Standen faked a cancer diagnosis to scam her friends into contributing up to $11,000 for her dream wedding.

Standen went to great lengths to convince everyone that she was sick. She even shaved her head and gave newspaper interviews about her cancer diagnosis.

 

She had claimed that she only had a short time to live, and that the cancer had spread to her brain, bones, and all over her body.

Friends launched a GoFundMe page to give Standen and her partner James “a wedding they deserve.”

Photo: The Mirror

The wedding service was held at St Bede’s Catholic Church in Widnes and was followed by a reception for roughly 150 guests, according to The Mirror.

At the wedding, the couple received some video messages offering them support and congratulations.

One came from Standen’s father, who passed away before the wedding, and another came from Everton FC, and was delivered by one of the top players.

Photo: The Mirror

Her friends began to suspect that something might be wrong a short time later when Standen claimed to have the coronavirus.

After discovering the truth, her friends called the scam an “ultimate betrayal”.

Last week, Standen pleaded guilty to fraud by false representation. The crimes were alleged to have taken place between February 2019 and April 2020. However, she had been exploiting this scam for several years.

The first documented case of her fraud began in July 2017, when she was interviewed in her local paper saying she had cancer. Then later in March of last year, she gave another interview where she claimed that the cancer was terminal.

Photo: The Mirror

Even after the wedding, she continued to spread wild lies about herself. In January of this year, she made a post online saying that she only had two months to live and that her organs were beginning to fail.

Then a month later she claimed to have died.

Photo: The Mirror

In February, a post on her Facebook account read, “RIP TONI. Our lovely Toni passed away last night, surrounded by friends and family… strong until the end.”

Standen blamed the post on hackers, but her friends think that she just wanted to see what people would say about her if she died.

Continue Reading

News

Michael Flynn Calls On Trump To Impose Martial Law

Published

on

Just a week after his presidential pardon, former White House national security adviser Michael Flynn promoted a call for the president to “temporarily suspend the Constitution” and impose martial law.

On Tuesday, Flynn shared a press release from a group called the “We the People Convention” that demanded for Trump to implement martial law. The statement even evoked Abraham Lincoln and the civil war.

 

“Then, as now, a President with courage and determination was needed to preserve the Union. Today, the current threat to our United States by the international and domestic socialist/communist left is much more serious than anything Lincoln or our nation has faced in its history – including the civil war,” the statement reads.

The statement condemns groups like Antifa, Black Lives Matter as well as the media. The statement also said that “limited” martial law is a “better option” than civil war.

The statement reads:

“When the legislators, courts and/or Congress fail to do their duty under the 12th Amendment, you must be ready Mr. President to immediately declare a limited form of Martial Law, and temporarily suspend the Constitution and civilian control of these federal elections, for the sole purpose of having the military oversee a national re-vote….You must also act, like Lincoln did, to silence the destructive media’s one-sided propaganda designed and proven to influence the election outcome, and end the unlawful censorship of Big Tech, to restore the confidence of the American People in our electoral process or we cannot continue as a nation. Failure to do so could result in massive violence and destruction on a level not seen since the Civil War. Limited Martial Law is clearly a better option than Civil War!”

Last week, Trump announced that he pardoned Michael Flynn.

The president announced the move in a Tweet.

In December 2017, Flynn formalized a deal with Special Counsel Robert Mueller to plead guilty to a felony count of “willfully and knowingly” making false statements to the FBI, and agreed to cooperate with the Special Counsel’s investigation.

In January 2020, Flynn moved to withdraw his guilty plea, claiming government vindictiveness and breach of the plea agreement. The United States Department of Justice announced that it intended to drop all charges against Flynn on May 7, 2020.

Flynn, with his son Michael G. Flynn, ran the Flynn Intel Group Inc, which provided intelligence services for businesses and governments. The company was founded in the fall of 2014, and closed in 2016.

Flynn was paid more than $65,000 by companies connected to Russia in 2015, including $11,250 each from Volga-Dnepr Airlines and the U.S. subsidiary of Kaspersky Lab. Other clients included Palo Alto Networks, Francisco Partners, Brainwave Science and Adobe Systems.

While working as a consultant, Flynn served on the board of several organizations, including GreenZone Systems, Patriot Capital, Brainwave, Drone Aviation and OSY Technologies. Subsidiaries of the Flynn Intel Group included FIG Cyber Inc, headed by Timothy Newberry, and FIG Aviation.

In August 16, 2016, the FBI opened a case on Flynn as part of its Crossfire Hurricane investigation. The investigation was intended to find out if Flynn was knowingly or unknowingly “involved in activity on behalf of the Russian Federation which may constitute a federal crime or threat to the national security” of the United States.

A review of the Crossfire Hurricane investigation, done by Justice Inspector General Michael Horowitz, was completed in December 2019. It concluded that “the quantum of information articulated by the FBI to open” the individual investigation on Flynn “was sufficient to satisfy the low threshold established by the Justice Department and the FBI”. The review “did not find documentary or testimonial evidence that political bias or improper motivation influenced the decisions to open” the investigation against Flynn.

Continue Reading

Trending