A Georgia grand jury has formally indicted three suspects in the killing of Ahmaud Arbery on murder charges. The suspects that were named are no surprise, 64-year-old Gregory McMichael, his 34-year-old son Travis McMichael, and their 50-year-old neighbor William “Roddie” Bryan. Each suspect is now facing charges of malice and felony murder.
Bryan is accused of using his pickup truck in an attempt to box Arbery in while he was trying to flee from the McMichaels, and he is also the person who took the now-viral video of the incident, which may be the only reason that the case has gotten so much national attention. It could also be a deciding factor in the McMichaels being brought to justice.
The indictment accuses the three men of collectively causing Arbery’s death “by unlawfully chasing him through the public roadways of the Satilla Shores neighborhood in pickup trucks and shooting him with a shotgun.”
The indictment includes four counts of felony murder, two counts of aggravated assault, and one count each of false imprisonment and criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment.
However, Bryan and the McMichaels claim that they were not breaking the law and were just being good citizens. The McMichaels claim that they were attempting to investigate burglaries in the area, a claim that was disputed by local police who said that there had been no recent burglaries in the area. Bryan claims that he was only a witness in the case, and has previously said that he would be a “star witness” for the prosecution.
The McMichaels say that they suspected Arbery of stealing from the construction site that he was seen passing through. However, Arbery’s family has said that he was jogging through the neighborhood when he was approached by the McMichaels. It was also common for people in the neighborhood to pass through that construction site. Surveillance videos of the site show that multiple people had recently trespassed at the site where Ahmaud Arbery visited.
Bryan’s attorney insisted that he was not involved, and pointed to a polygraph test that he took, in which he stated that he did not have any conversation with Gregory or Travis McMichael before the shooting and had no clue that it was going to happen.
Wanda Cooper-Jones, Arbery’s mother, told NBC News on Wednesday she was “very pleased” with the indictment.
“At this point. I do believe the case is moving in the right direction,” she said.
The McMichaels hunted 25-year-old Arbery for about 5 minutes after they saw him walking through a construction site. Eventually, they confronted Arbery who was likely scared and trying to get away. In the following struggle, Arbery was shot twice with a shotgun at close range.
The murder took place back in February but the McMichaels were not charged in the case until earlier this month when a video of the incident went viral and sparked global outrage.
Gregory McMichael is a former police officer, with deep ties to local judges and the district attorney, who initially allowed the case to slip through the cracks without any arrests.
WATCH: A Georgia grand jury indicted the three men charged with the murder of Ahmaud Arbery. Blayne Alexander continues reporting from Atlanta.
Posted by NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt on Wednesday, June 24, 2020
- Protesters Topple Christopher Columbus Statue In Baltimore
- Kanye West Announces He’s Running For U.S. Presidency 2020
- 2 Protesters Critically Injured After Man Driving Jaguar Plows Through Crowd
- US Sends Aircraft Carriers and Warships Into South China Sea
- Epstein Victim’s Lawyer Spencer Kuvin Says Ghislaine Maxwell Will Be Suicided
- Woman Claims Ghislaine Maxwell Raped Her Repeatably
- Native Tribal Leaders Want Mount Rushmore To Be Removed
- New Book Claims Bill Clinton Had An Affair With Trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell
- CNN Reporter Mugged On Live TV At Knife Point
- Epstein Victim Virginia Giuffre’s Attorneys Ordered By Judge To Destroy All Documents
- Officer Stabbed And Hundreds Arrested During First Day Of New Hong Kong Protests
- Ghislaine Maxwell Epstein’s Madam Has Been Arrested By The FBI
- Hundreds Of Police Storm Seattle Autonomous Zone And Arrest Remaining Protesters
- Suspected Killer Of Missing Soldier Vanessa Guillen Dies By Suicide When Found By Police
- LA City Council Moves To Replace Police Officers With Unarmed Crisis Response Teams
- Human Remains Found In Search Of Missing Fort Hood Soldier Vanessa Guillen
- Gunman Opens Fire On Protestors At Louisville Park
- The Chinese Debt Trap Is Taking Over The Entire World
- Fox News Report Says Trump Is Feeling “Fragile” And Could Drop Out Of The Election
- Princeton To Remove Woodrow Wilson’s Name From University’s Buildings Over Racist Views
- Detroit Police Drive SUV Through Crowd Of Protesters
- Iran Asks Interpol To Help Arrest Trump For Assassination Of General
- Bill Making It Illegal To Forcefully Microchip Employees Passes In Michigan
- The Officers Involved With The Death Of George Floyd Could Get Their Jobs Back
- Kylie Jenner Accused Of ‘Refusing To Pay’ Bangladeshi Workers
- Lawmakers Push To Change Name Of John Wayne Airport Over Racist Remarks
- Petition Calls For Statue Of Christopher Columbus To Be Replaced With Chef Boyardee
- St. Louis Mayor Gives Out Names and Addresses of “Defund The Police” Protesters
- Minneapolis City Council Votes Unanimously To Defund And Dismantle The Police Department
- Officials Suspect Foul Play In Disappearance Of Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen
- News1 year ago
Alabama Passes Law to Chemically Castrate Pedophiles
- Tech5 months ago
The New Bugatti La Voiture Noire Is Worth £14 Million
- News6 months ago
Iranian Presidential Adviser Posted A List Showing Locations For All Trump’s Properties
- Anonymous11 months ago
Anonymous Message to the People of Hong Kong
- Tech2 weeks ago
DeLorean Confirms Plan To Redesign and Produce A New Line Of DMC 12S Cars
- News3 weeks ago
Man Used Internet Registry to Track down and Beat up Pedophiles
- Anonymous4 months ago
Anonymous Warns Citizens Of The World About Coming Global Lockdown
- News11 months ago
Leonardo-backed fund Pledges $5 Million To Preserve Amazon Rainforest